Tuesday 4 February 2014

Moscow wander

I had the pleasure of a wander round Moscow in early February. I cris-crossed the city on the oh-so-wonderful metro, whose stations are mostly beautiful, unique, and yet with a consistency of style.
The metro is retro in a hardy kind of way, and it's only really let down by the lack of information in the stations - and a notable paucity of benches.

From ornate domed halls and tunnels with chandeliers, to stark art deco signage and tributes to cosmonauts, what a great achievement, so utilitarian, so absolutely vital, so efficient, so egalitarian, and with such style and artistic merit, it is one of the USSR's great legacies in my opinion.
Not the USSR's legacy
I enjoyed this unassuming church, which managed to convey solemnity while wearing bright red; 
A birch lined park walk.
I also enjoyed a birch lined park walk, whereupon I came across my favourite bench.
I love the way a bench can be space-aged; that the park is slightly unkempt; and that the towers were built according to Orwell's blueprint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment