Friday 6 July 2012

Karaganda and Temirtau

A steppe in the right direction.
Welcome ...
We went to Karanganda which, like any journey in Kazakhstan, involves at least a few hours on on the steppe, pictured above to refresh your memory of what nothing looks like. On our way to Karaganda we passed Temirtau, with its optimistic welcome sign (left). I say optimistic because the town looks like Mordor (below). It is home to a large steel production complex, a source of employment for its residents. The president is among its alumni. Presumbly this is where he forged his reputation as an iron man. Rofl.

... to Mordor.
Onwards to Karaganda then, much of which looks a bit like this ...
A classic soviet car in Karaganda
Actually I waited long and hard to get that shot (woe is me) because the vast majority of cars were Japanese or German (see also the modern bus hiding in the background). Karaganda is, like most of Kazakhstan, changing. Not at the rate of Astana, but there are new shiney complexes - condos, an ice-rink; shopping malls. It looks sort of like Essex, or the outskirts of a city in the midlands with PC world and Comet opposite some chain like Ben and Jerrys; but with big Soviet blocks overshading it all, and everything a lot more spaced out. Well, it doesn't look like Essex, but I did see some similarities. Did I? I think I'm losing my frame of reference.

The centre of town has a posh column with the Kazakh sun and eagle, as per the flag but in full 3D and of course, as pictured, the sky was happy to oblige with a bright blue to match the flag, as it so often does.

Thanks to Yelzhas for a great night out too. Nightclubs in Karaganda are not particularly distinct from anywhere else in the world, so I'll save you the pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment