Tuesday 14 August 2012

Bishkek Soviet archiecture

The brute grandness of Bishkek, a carefully laid out Soviet city which seems to have been more important at some point that Almaty was, is in stark contrast to its quiet, drowsy day-to-day operations. Let's take a look at some Soviet architecture, beginning with the Whitehouse. Fab.
Whitehouse: good effort.
That has impact. It's really good! The next one is a chance to express my ignorance - I don't know what it is; but you've got to love it. This would go so well on London's Southbank, I think. I genuinely like this building. It must be an arts centre of some kind.
What ever it is (within reason), I'm a fan.
The impressive buildings don't stop there. Checkout the museum ...
... and some art-deco and neo-classical pieces ...

... and the main square, almost middle eastern ...
Lovely sky. Sombre, but elegant.

No comments:

Post a Comment