Sunday 16 October 2011

Actual Kazbar

Jamie enjoys Kazbar. Note: lasers, dry-ice, and
upholstered pillars, all telltale signs of a night club.
Having slogged away at work things are now a bit more balanced and I am free to research Astana's nightlife. Those of you who know me will know that I LOVE CLUBBING, so you will be sure to see very many more posts here on nightlife in Kazakhstan. For example, at least one more between now and Christmas.

Kazbar is a classic lounge/club, with lots of seating, upholstered pillars, and a small dance floor. It's free on the door, the drinks are expensive as you'd expect, and it's dark with lots of laser lights. I suppose all clubs are, but what with me being a seasoned clubber, i.e. I don't actually go clubbing, these things seems relevant to me. To summarise it's a nice place, and I'd recommend going there for a dance (of course, I just stayed in the corner making objective, rational observations).

There were a band playing and they were really, really good. Now I came straight from the work do so however inebriated my point of view was at this point in the vodka marathon, it was approximately the same between leaving the work do and arriving at Kazbar, so at least we have a benchmark! I didn't like the music there, and I did like the music here.

The leader of the band had a mullet that was definite and, this time, not subtle at all. Chris Waddle would have been very jealous of this, the uniformity of the rat tails was so great that I don't think they were rat tails - just a very fine mullet. The dress shirt and geek/metro glasses also added to the confusion. They began with a Reggae number which was fab, and spanned a wide spectrum of genres; in particular I was impressed by how seamlessly they snuck in Armand van Heldon (baby ... moonlight ... duh duh duh duh ... de-light ... duh duh ... and you know duh duh duh - you know the one?!) - it was immaculate. And the swing and old rock-n-roll were great too; we'll forgive them for the slow songs; immaculate but with genuine soul, I was so impressed.

Ordering drinks in Kazakhstan is relatively easy because vodka is actually a Russian word. Probably needless to say, Sunday was a washout. 

I don't think this actually counts as 'clubbing', more 'lounge-barring', but I did have a great time. It was also a successful evening because I didn't go to 'Guns and Roses pub-grille'. It is my mission while here NOT to go there as I hear only bad things. But everyone goes there so standby for some horror!

No comments:

Post a Comment