Saturday 14 September 2013

Ray's bar

"Is it on the top floor?"
"No, it's on the 62nd"
The atrium envelopes us in its opulence. We're joined in the bejeweled lift by bewildered middle class British people dressed their best and out for a cocktail, and are greeted on the 62nd floor by a waiter and a stunning view of Abu Dhabi.

We choose from the endless fabulous and expensive cocktails and admire the decor. The bar is full of people instagramming themselves, so pleased to be there among the elite. I wonder where the actual elite are. I go to the loo and am enamoured by the sinks.
A large glass container holds within it a smaller marble block. The water falls to the block and runs down its side, and splashes the glass too. I return to the bill and am not enamoured. I pull a face. The waiter re-assures me:
"It's expensive to keep clean a sink of such disproportionate surface area"

No comments:

Post a Comment